Re: The trainer?

His attitude is better, but he still isn't doing the job.  As far as
I'm concerned any full time "beat writer" who hasn't written A SINGLE
STORY yet on the team's bad offense, or on Kenny Anderson's mysterious
play, just isn't doing his job.  It's like he relays on the same
simpleminded cliches about the team that the preview magazines
specialize in.  I learn almost nothing from reading his column.  I
could do better, and Jim Mennino could do better, and you could, and
almost any of us could except for Paul and Warwick, who are both
basically insane.  In fact, we could have a whole newspaper from this
group:

Miss Manners, by Dorine
Bird Watching, by Ed Aganowitz
Paris Dispatch, by Joe Hironaka
For Sale, by Warwick
Indignities, by Cecil
Kevorkian Korner, by Mister Ghost
Junior Jumble, by Mishra
Bitch-o-rama, by Paul m.

etc.

---Joe Hironaka  wrote:

> Boston Globe 2/23/99:
> "But there have been stories that Walker is not a nice guy. A trainer
> said last year that he is one of the least-liked players in the NBA."
>
> ****
>
> Peter May's conscience finally made him 'fess up today that his "most
> hated player in the NBA" characterization of Antoine Walker originated
> from the guy who hands out towels and jockstraps.
>
> One thing I hate to finally admit, though, is that Peter May is a very
> decent NBA beat writer whenever he's in the mood. I actually enjoyed
> reading his road trip civerage of the Celtics and his more than
adequate
> West Coast game stories (considering he had to rush to meet Eastern
Time
> Zone print deadlines). Last season, he wrote like a grouchy and bored
> old guy who resented having to cover the "new breed" of spoiled
Celtics
> and NBA players, IMHO. I suppose all these years of Celtics mediocrity
> got him in a career rut.
>
> My conjecture is that he must have had a good talk with Antoine
Walker,
> or possibly Michael Holley, and has since developed a new level of
> respect for El Capitano and our young Celtics. "Welcome back to
Celtics