The trainer?

Boston Globe 2/23/99:
"But there have been stories that Walker is not a nice guy. A trainer
said last year that he is one of the least-liked players in the NBA."

****

Peter May's conscience finally made him 'fess up today that his "most
hated player in the NBA" characterization of Antoine Walker originated
from the guy who hands out towels and jockstraps.

One thing I hate to finally admit, though, is that Peter May is a very
decent NBA beat writer whenever he's in the mood. I actually enjoyed
reading his road trip civerage of the Celtics and his more than adequate
West Coast game stories (considering he had to rush to meet Eastern Time
Zone print deadlines). Last season, he wrote like a grouchy and bored
old guy who resented having to cover the "new breed" of spoiled Celtics
and NBA players, IMHO. I suppose all these years of Celtics mediocrity
got him in a career rut.

My conjecture is that he must have had a good talk with Antoine Walker,
or possibly Michael Holley, and has since developed a new level of
respect for El Capitano and our young Celtics. "Welcome back to Celtics
fandom, Peter May" I say. God, I hated that guy last year...

Joe