Re: Scott Pollard

>Although Pitino may lessen the frequency of the press or even modify
>it somewhat, it ain't going anywhere... But there's going to be
>some players headed elsewhere, as Pitino seeks the missing
>parts to his system.

>MG

You're right, it's not going anywhere. Now Pitino's "defense." Maybe Pitino
doesn't want the two bruisers that everybody seems to think the team needs
because he's created, in his own mind, a mostly bruiser-free defense. He
wants speed, he wants quickness, he wants a ton of activity, he wants
pressure and athleticism and we all want Horace Grant or Vin Baker and
Dikembe Mutombo up front. Those guys get carried off the court by halftime
playing Pitino-ball. And what happens with those guys on offense? Gee,
whatever happened to all those people who wanted Vin Baker a couple years
ago? You think he can play in Pitino's system? Walker is here to stay. You
can all groan all you want, but he is the prototypical forward in Pitino's
system. Look, I think Pierce, Walker, and Mercer should stay. I agree that
they need a center who isn't totally incompetent on offense and who can
defend the rim, but unfortunately Eric Dampier isn't going anywhere. But
Pitino is never going to have two bruisers up front who can't run, handle
the ball, and take their man outside and hit the shot. Pitino wants a point
who thinks pass first. If you have two bruisers up front that leaves Pierce
and Mercer as the only outside shooting ballhandlers. And I'm not sure that
Mercer counts. Walker and Pierce aren't going anywhere. He gets a center
like Dampier, who unfortunately is playing much better now, and Pitino gets
his ideal frontcourt. Do they win? Now...let's talk back court.

Paul M.