RE: More on game

peter delevett said:
> Here are a couple of other disturbing facts from last night's game:
>
> Ron Mercer: 46 minutes, no 3 point attempts. C'mon, Ron, you'd think you'd
> start somewhere!

Why is this so disturbing?  We need MORE guys who don't take quick 3's and
always work to get a good shot like Mercer does.  Kudos to Mercer for not
falling in love with the 3.

> Eric Riley - only 14 minutes in a triple overtime game. In those few minutes
> he blocks 2 shots.

Firstly, he wasn't the starter.  Battie started, and last week Pitino
said that Battie had made a lot of progress during the week off, so I
think he wants to give Battie some playing time to put what he learned
into practice.

Secondly, Riley fouled out.  Big Country is a good player, who got the
the benefit of the doubt from the officials on borderline calls, as
he's better known, and he's a better player, and he was at home.  This
stuff will happen.  The key is for Riley is to use those fouls that he's
gonna be called for anyway to keep the other guy from getting easy
baskets, and to make him have to earn it from the line.  Big Country had
only 4 FGs, but had 12 Free Throws, so it sounds like he didn't have
many easy baskets, so I don't see a problem here, other than that Riley
won't get much help from officials in some games, but there's nothing
you can do about that.

Jon Mc