Paul Pierce

Well, I'm falling a bit behind with all the activity on this list lately,
and all the work I have at work, so these responses are over a day late,
but better late than never!

> From: Mike Dynon <mdynon@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: From the Sporting News
>
> Their NBA beat writer confirms what we already know: see where Pierce is
> listed.

It only took a couple of weeks for Pierce to start getting the National
recognition he deserves among the rookies.  Tuesday night's game helped alot,
because it was on national TV, and Hubie quoted Pitino as saying that Pierce
is the best rookie he's ever coached, and he'll be shocked if he doesn't get
rookie of the year.  Pierce took over the game in the 4th quarter.  Imagine
if he can stay out of foul trouble and play a whole game.  In a way, the
2 Celtic victories have followed a similar pattern:

  A) Pierce gets in foul trouble and sits most of the first half
  B) Pierce plays in the 3rd quarter and starts getting in the flow
  C) As everyone else tires in the 4th quarter, Pierce starts running
     circles around everyone, coming off screens, hitting short jumpers,
     blocking shots, getting rebounds, etc., pushing the Celtics to a lead
     they won't give up.

I now dub Paul Pierce "Mr. 4th quarter".

Folks, there's no reason to temper your enthusiasm for this kid... he really
is as good as all the accolades.  Just watch him do the little things, like
clearing out space for a rebound.  He really knows better than most veterans
the concept of putting a body on someone and carving out control of as much
space as possible for the rebound.

>Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:44:49 -0600
>From: "Gene Kirkpatrick" <gkir@tjc.tyler.cc.tx.us>
>Subject: Peaks and valleys
>
>Riley blew it.  Had he used Weatherspoon more, they could have won.
>
>Mercer brings speed, defensive chaos (like Walter), and another great
>curl player.

Yup, Weatherspoon was the only guy the C's couldn't stop last game.

Right on, Gene!  2 great "curl" players in Mercer and Pierce.  Can't
wait to see them play together!

Jon Mc