a few thoughts

Thoroughly enjoyed my first chance to see the Celts this season (I'm relegated
to national broadcasts because my wife doesn't want to become a basketball
widow). Had a few thoughts:

One thing I haven't seen anyone on the list mention is Antoine's comment after
Tuesday's game, when he said he was worrying too much about his shooting
percentage in the first few games. I thought this was a great point. Although we
all want him to shoot a higher percentage, I think we'd all agree we want it to
happen naturally. The one thing we don't want is our best player second-guessing
himself or worrying about missing shots. A coach once said to me "basketball is
a game of risks, and winners take them." I believe that's true, the key is
taking calculated risks. Anyway, it seemed to me that the more aggressive
Antoine just seemed to loosen the entire team up.

On Pierce: I knew he was good, but was still shocked to see this guy last night.
I watched him a few times in college and once saw him single-handedly beat my
Ohio State Buckeyes in a tournament out in Hawaii. When the draft rolled around,
I thought Olowokandi would be our dream pickup, with Pierce right behind, simply
because they addressed our two most glaring needs. Now we have just one glaring
need.

Anderson was shooting a little too quickly for my liking last night, but I think
we'll see less of that when Mercer returns. With Ron out, we're woefully short
on offensive options. When Pierce left early with foul trouble, we needed
someone else to step up and make shots. Anderson will be fine. He's a strength,
not a weakness to this team.

The center-by-committee will work as long as Andrew is a part of it. He did all
the little things. Riley is a project, but can provide some minutes. Battie will
be a marginal player at best until he gets stronger. We still need to get better
here, but I don't know exactly how to do it.

Popeye didn't play his best game, but he did play a solid game. He's a great
pickup.

A healthy McCarty will really help. He's the key player when we turn up the
press.

Anyway, I'm really excited about this team because I think Pitino will put this
break in the schedule to good use. I expect a fresh, relatively healthy team to
head west, with a lot of the rough edges smoothed out. With the injuries to the
Knicks and Heat, I think we can be a factor. We'll have to play well, because
the other teams we're competing with for final playoff spots: Milwaukee, Detroit
and Philly, all are playing well.

Sorry so long.

Mark