Re: The center cannot hold

Bison Dele would be fine, but don't you think
Detroit would want Walker, Pierce, or Mercer
for him?

Potapenko is injured at the moment and a free
agent after the season.

Dampier will cost the C's Mercer, as the
Warriors are looking for an impact player
for their backcourt.  Maybe that's
worth it, but he's a free agent after
this season too.

Lari Ketner would be a better solution than Ervin
Johnson.  He may or should be available when the
C's draft.  Ketner would be a very good center
with the Celtics.  He's suffering from senioritis,
poor coaching, and the lack of a point guard.
He also doesn't handle double-teams well.
However, how many times would teams double down
on him with Pierce, Mercer and Walker on the
perimeter?
MG
PS. One month to the trading deadline.  Adios
Dana.

---peter delevett <pdelevett@amcity.com> wrote:

> Dorine and George -- I think you're right that if Eric Riley can
keep it up,
> and DeQ can keep up the energy, the two can make an effective center
combo so
> long as we keep Mercer, Pierce, Kenny & Antoine healthy. However, I
for one
> can't believe they are the team's long-term solution.
>
> Absent landing a great center in the draft, and absent our having
the dough to
> sign a quality FA, our best option remains a trade. And we need to
focus on
> teams that have a quality backup or starting C they're dissatisfied
with;
> remember how little Orlando was willing to take in exchange for Rony
Seikaly?
> Ditto the Heat for Austin?
>
> It looks as though Elden Campbell will shortly be a Hornet, cutting
off our
> access to perhaps the best prospect out there. The Pistons already
are down
> (again) on Bison Dele, and though he's not a defensive force and
doesn't
> always work as hard as he should (a la Elden), he'd be a heap better
than
> anyone we have in the pivot. Odds on a trade: depends on how badly he
> continues to tweak Detroit. If he's stuck on the bench midway thru
the season,
> they might deal him for a reasonable package (i.e. one that wouldn't
rob us of
> any of the Big 3).
>
> Ervin Johnson is still out there and still in George Karl's doghouse
(sorry,
> Snoopy). Johnson played just 20 minutes last night and had 5 boards
and a
> block. Pros: he's more than athletic enough for our system and
blocked nearly
> 2 spg last year. Cons: He's not really big enough to be a low-post
banger, and
> he's 32 (although he came into the league late a la Dennis Rodman,
so he's
> probably a "young" 32). I'd only do this if we could give up little
in return.

> Potapenko, IMO, is now the best young backup C in the league with
Campbell on
> his way to Charlotte. He will be a FA at the end of the season, and
if the
> Cavs can't sign him (unlikely with Knight, DA & Henderson all FAs
after next
> season), they might deal him. If he can be had at a modest price,
I'd say
> definitely do it -- he has the beef to defend the post and is a
low-post scorer.

> Finally, word here in the Bay Area is that Erick Dampier is unhappy
with his
> lack of PT so far. This is a situation that could bear watching; the
Warriors