Re: Celts replace Knicks in playoffs

In a message dated 2/8/99 10:56:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dlp@philabs.research.philips.com writes:

<< But beyond that, I'm predicting that
 the Knicks, who have been anointed as championship contenders because
 they have been in the past and because they've added the "fabulously
 talented" Sprewell, will be the team that the Celtics replace as yearly
 Eastern division contenders.  From what I have seen of Sprewell, he is
 the most overrated ballplayer I've ever seen.  Every article either
 cursing the Knicks or praising them says that he's one of the best two
 guards in the NBA.  Not from what I've seen.  I would describe him to
 date as Walter McCarty with a slightly better jump shot, and only
 slightly.   So, Sprewell is my prediction for bust of the year.  The
 Knicks self-destruct because Spre thinks he should get the ball more and
 the rest of the Knicks start to hate this guy and Patrick Ewing gets
 hurt (no surprise there) and the Knicks miss the playoffs. >>

Alas, poor Knicks. 0-2 to start the season even with their new weapons.
Imagine the cries for Pitino's head if he traded Oakley for Camby who doesn't
even play (anyone check EW's numbers the first 2 games?). To compare Spreewell
to McCarty is quite a stretch since he is a very solid defender and has
consistently put up 20 per game but to listen to Knick fans, who are
annointing him as the best 2 guard in the league with Jordan gone, makes me
want to puke. The guy has a career FG% of 43! So yesterday he went 2 for 12
and down the stretch it was the same old Knick offense of "give the ball to
Patrick". The Oakley trade is going to hurt the Knicks big time but they did
get lucky -so far at least- when they picked up Kurt Thomas.

We may be closer to passing by the Knicks than anyone thinks.

George