Re: Fist games

I don't know if "some people on the list" have been trashing Mercer, or
if it just John Lyell.  I seem to have seen about six anti-Mercer posts
from him.  Personally I think his absence (Mercer's, not Lyell's) has
been the biggest problem for the Cs so far.  If you remember back to the
preseason games, it looked as though Mercer was going to be the focal
point of a much more potent, fast break attack.  He may not shoot the
three, but at 6'7", with his athleticism, he'll never have a problem
getting his offense at the 2.

As far as three point shooting goes, we should all be ecstatic that it
turns out the Pierce can knock down that shot like an 18 footer.  This
was a dimension I had no idea he had.  The team will now have a three
point threat on the floor most of the time between Pierce and Barros.
This is good enough.

Throw in Popeye and "Ringo" DeClerq (really love that hair) on top of
Mercer, and there will be an enourmous difference.  Not sure how/if
McCarty is going to fit in.  Battie, too, is going to be fighting for
playing time soon if he can't play center.  Riley's size on defense will
win out over Battie's better offense once Mercer is back and the offense
is cranking out 110 points a game.

Also, just thought I'd mention how impressed I was with Bruce Bowen on
Saturday.  I've always thought he reputation as the team's best
defensive player was a bit overblown.  I always thought he worked harded
than most on the defensive end, but that's about it.  Saturday he showed
me quantity and quality.

Jim

<celtics@igtc.com>