No Subject

http://www.ohio.com/bj/sports/docs/007650.htm

"Boston's Pierce tips the scales against Cavs
Basket over Kemp is key as Celtics gain 77-73 win. Cleveland now 0-2
BY CHRIS TOMASSON
Beacon Journal staff writer

BOSTON: Don't blame the Cavaliers' rough start on being young. The man who did
them in last night at the FleetCenter is a rookie.

With the game on the line, Boston Celtics forward Paul Pierce slipped by a big
stationary object named Shawn Kemp and tipped in the go-ahead basket with 40
seconds left. Give the Celtics a 77-73 win and the Cavs an 0-2 start.

In the waning seconds, Pierce was all over the place. The Cavs also were all
over the place, but not in a good sense."

[ other nice parts snipped ..... ]

"If there's a leading candidate for NBA Rookie of the Year after the first
weekend, it's Pierce. In Boston's opener Friday, a 103-92 loss to Toronto,
Pierce had 19 points, nine rebounds, five assists and four blocked shots."

[More on Pierce and game in rest of article ..]

Nice AP article on Pierce and Celts vs Cavs

http://cnnsi.com/basketball/nba/news/1999/02/06/cavs_celtics/

"Piercing points

Rookie's late surge leads Celtics past Cavaliers

BOSTON (AP) -- Paul Pierce waited longer than he expected to get drafted.
Opponents are finding out in a hurry just how good the Boston Celtics rookie
is.

Pierce scored 15 of his 19 points in the fourth quarter when Boston came from
behind for a 77-73 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Saturday night.

"I love that time of game," said Pierce, who scored 11 of the Celtics last 12
points. "I love when it's close, especially if I have a chance to win the game
and the ball's in my hands. I live for those situations."

[more on Pierce et al. in rest of article ....]

Hank M.