A more specific prediction

OK, since today is the last day to make or revise predictions, and
since I predicted before the announcement about other details being
considered, and since last night I finally got to watch the tape of
last Friday's game, and was just blown away by Paul Pierce's play,
and encouraged by the play of Battie and Riley, and since Pitino had
a similar first season's record with the Knicks, then went 52-30 the
second year with roughly the same players, I'm making a more specific
estimate:

The Celtics will finish with 31 wins, 19 losses.

They'll finish 5th in the Eastern Conference.

They'll win in the first round of the playoffs.

They'll lose to Indiana in the second round of the playoffs.

Paul Pierce will be Rookie of the Year.

(end of prediction)

Beginning of rave about Paul Pierce after watching tape of 2nd game:
Paul Pierce is the steal of the century as the #10 pick.
My god!  That kid has the complete game.  He has excellent hands on defense.
He had 5 steals last Friday.  Toronto was complaining that the reason
Wallace has performed disappointingly was Boston's trapping defense.  Don't
believe it... it the fact that Pierce was covering him.  He completely
shut down Wallace.

He also had 12 rebounds and 21 points, including 4 of 5 three-pointers.
It wasn't just that he got these stats, but the WAY he got them that
really impressed me.  He knew where to be when.  He read situations very
quickly and knew when to take the outside shot, when to drive, when to cut
around a pick, when and where to move for the rebound, or to the open spot
to receive a pass, when and where to pass as he's driving and the defense
is collapsing on him (listening, Antoine?), etc.  He showed incredible
poise and confidence and maturity.  If this guy doesn't get Rookie of
the Year, I'll be amazed.  He'll have more of an impact on winning
games than Mercer or Walker.  Only Kenny Anderson will have a greater
impact on winning games.

I'm now 100% convinced that Pitino was NOT pumping up Pierce for a trade as
he raved about him during training camp.  The Celtics won't have to
renogotiate Pierce's contract for 4 years, and they have Kenny Anderson
locked up that long, too, so they'd better win a championship by 2002,
as it'll be tough to keep this team together beyond that.  The next big
difficulty will be getting Ron Mercer signed.

Suddenly I'm much more optimistic about the Celtics' chances for a 2000,
2001 or 2002 Championship.

Jon Mc