Waiver wire

Those of you, like me, who like Roy Rogers and can't figure out why he keeps
bouncing from team to team, take note: the Cavaliers have just signed him.
Considering that he blocked 163 shots as a rookie along with 7 points, 5
boards and a .505 shooting percentage, it seems odd to me he's been traded to
four teams in the past year. Maybe he's found a home.

On a more germane note, I've been looking over the training camp rosters for
some potential plums who could fall between today (when rosters must be pared
down to 14) and the 19th, when they must be cut to 12. There are a few
interesting young center and point guard prospects:

CENTERS
Brad Miller, 6'11, 250, Charlotte - considering their weakness at center he
probably won't be cut
Loren Meyer, 6'10, 260, Denver - played well as a rookie for Phoenix; coming
off major back surgery
John Coker, 7', 250, Houston - a big boy, and with Stanley Roberts they might
not need him
Mate Skelin, 7'1, 248, Indiana - I mentioned him in a previous post
Mark Blount, 7', 230, Clippers - He was a 2nd round draft pick of Seattle last
year; played at Pitt, many draft gurus thought he had a shot at playing in the
league. Clips are overloaded up front.
Thomas Hamilton, 7'2, 360, Miami - I know the Big Ham isn't coming back to
Boston; 360 pounds, sheesh!
Amal McCaskill, 6'11, 235, Miami - Played last year for Orlando, I believe
Jonathan Kerner, 6'11, 245, Orlando - Don't know anything about him
Casey Shaw, 6'11, 260, Philly - I don't see them cutting him, as they just
drafted him in the second round; but with Geiger, Ratliff, Nazr Mohammed,
Benoit Benjamin & Scott Williams all on the roster, something's gotta give
Peter Aluma, 6'10, 260, Sacto - There was a lot of talk about this guy leading
up to the 97 draft. With Divac, Jerome James & Oliver Miller, there's no way I
see Sacto having room to keep this guy
Terrell Bell, 6'11, 250, Sacto - See above comments. He played college ball on
a Georgia team that went deep into the NC2A tourney under Tubby Smith
Makhtar Ndiaye, 6'10, 231, Vancouver - He gives me a pain, personally - that
whole crying-wolf about racism thing - but is undeniably strong and pretty athletic
Etdrick Bohannon, 6'9, 225, Wahsington - Is really too small, but Larry Bird
liked him enough last year to keep him on as a 12th man/IR stash
Randell Jackson, 6'11, 215, Washington - Could body double for Keith Closs,
he's so frighteningly thin; Wizards aren't likely to let him go because he's
been their best player in preseason, scary as that sounds.

PG
Tyson Wheeler, 5'10, 165, Denver - a pocket rocket. The Nugs already have Van
Ex, Corey Alexnader and Billups at point
Anthony Carter, 6'1, 190, Detroit - was all everything at Hawaii. Pistons need
help at this spot so may keep him
Jeff Sheppard, 6'3, 190, Atlanta - he's not really a PG, but I know many on
this list like him. Atlanta is going to have to choose between him and top
pick Shammond Williams.
Randy Livingston, 6'4, 209, Miami - This kid was all-world at LSU before two
major knee injuries.
Earl Boykins, 5'5, 145, Jersey - so small Tyues Edney could post him up, but a
speed demon w/ great smarts
Anthony Parker, 6'6, 215, Philly - A college stud at Bradley; I don't really
know if he can play point in the pros, but he could lose out in a numbers game
in Philly
Moochie Norris, 6'1, 175, Seattle - Played at Auburn, then was a Div. 2A All
American at West Florida, in my hometown. Tough for a rookie to break in on a
veteran squad like Seattle's.
Negele Knight, 6'1, 182, Toronto - Once upon a time, he was one of the up and
coming young NBA point guards. Probably too old for Rick's taste (he's all of 28).
Saddi Washington, 6'2, 188, Utah - Now this guy was VERY highly regarded
coming out of college; he was the #1 pick in last summer's CBA draft.Supposed
to be fast as blazes, and I doubt he'll stick with Utah having Eisley and
Jacque Vaughn
DeJuan Wheat, 6', 165, Vancouver - probably too small, but Rick knows him well
from the UK-Louisville rivalry. Shot 47% from three last year with Minny.

Just BTW, I noticed a few other names from the where-are-they-now file: Mark
Macon and former Celt Doug Smith are both with Detroit, Macon for the 2nd
time. They were among the top 8 players taken in the '91 draft, and both total busts.