FWD: Larry Brown Comments

Some interesting stuff from Larry Brown.
Scroll down and see the nice things he has
to say about Schintzius.  He's very
complimentary toward Dwayne.  Sounds like,
if Schintzius can stay focused, he can be
an excellent addition for the the C's.

> This message is forwarded from the newsgroup
"alt.sports.basketball.nba.phila-76ers".

Derrick,
> [...]
> a difficult match-up to field. And that put Derrick in the position to
> fight them all the time. He almost looks at himself as a three man
> because he has such great skills to handle a ball and can go out on
the
> floor and shoot it. I don't think he has any shortcomings. I could
> understand where he was coming from.
>
> Q: What are your thoughts on pursuing a player with a bit of a
> controversial character?
>
> Brown: My feeling is a lot of us have made mistakes in our lives. I
> don't condone what Latrell (Sprewell) did. I thought it was terrible
> for basketball and unfortunate for everyone connected with this sport.
> I think on our level, we have such a responsibility to set a good
> example. He made a mistake and I think he finally said he was sorry
for
> it. He deserves a chance. You can look down any roster in our league
> and just about everybody on every team from players to coaches can say
> they've done something they weren't very happy about. Fortunately, we
> can sometimes forgive and hopefully this is all going to turn out good
> for him and good for everybody. David Stern forgave the referees for a
> mistake. I have a kid on my team who has made some mistakes in his
life
> and he's trying to straighten himself out. There are stories like that
> all over our league. I'm just hopeful it works out for Latrell where
we
> can look back on it and say that's an isolated incident and it's
over.

> Q: What were your impressions of Dwayne Schintzius?
>
> Brown: I coached Dwayne on the World Team, the World Junior team, so
> that was my first experience with him. We kind of had an interesting
> trip and then I drafted him when I was with San Antonio. That probably
> shocked the heck out of him, but I really like the kid. I think he had
> tremendous ability; he knows how to play. His biggest problem is that
> he's never really worked hard. He's never had his priorities in order.
> This is probably his last chance and he's playing for a very demanding
> coach who, I think, will bring out the best in him. I'm hopeful it
> works out because there are very few big people with the skills or the
> understanding of the game he has. His biggest problem is he hasn't in
> the past approached every practice and every game in this profession
in
> a responsible way. I'm hopeful he'll do that because he's really a
good
> guy.
>
> Q: How mature is Larry Hughes and when you move Iverson to the off
> guard, will he be capable of handling the point?
>
> Brown: I think in time Larry will be able to play point. Right now
> usually the point guard is guarding Allen anyway so his defender is
not
> usually as good on the ball as some of our point guards defensively.
So
> that should help him a little bit. He's mature way beyond his years.
He
> knows how to play and he's got a toughness. He's much further along
> defensively than any of the young kids I've ever coached. But he's got
> to guard Reggie Miller, he's got to guard a Nick Anderson, he's got to
> guard a Sprewell or a Houston or a Mitch Richmond almost every night,
> Steve Smith. He has unbelievable match-ups in our conference and I
> think that's going to be a big challenge for him.
>
> Q: Are you looking for Theo Ratliff to blossom even further this
year?

> Brown: He's coming off knee surgery, so he's been a little bit behind
> in our training camp. He was terrific for us in the end. He was
blessed
> by playing with Derrick Coleman. Derrick, in a lot of cases, played a
> the bigger people, which gave Theo a little more freedom to roam
around
> defensively, block shots. Theo was not a low-post threat. Derrick was
> the guy who we would throw inside and who would create double teams.
> He's very young, he's only played a half a year. He's a tremendous
shot
> blocker and a terrific athlete and I think he'll complement Geiger
very
> well. I think we just have to understand that he's still young and
> still improving. I feel very good that we were able to re-sign him.

==
MG In Exile