Pitino stops the obvious trapping

A nice win by the C's. Part of the reason we won is that we match up well
with them. The other reason was that Pitino quit his obvious trapping in the
half court. We can't forget two calls that we got with about a minute left in
the game that normally goes against us---Walker fouled LaFrenz shooting a
three and they didn't call it and they called a foul against McCloud on
Walker who was going for a offensive rebound...Now against Denver, we can get
away with starting Walker at the big forward spot. They are weak defensively
inside. I would prefer Walker at the big forward even against teams like
Denver since we will have to play big against the big teams and I believe in
a steady rotation. But Pitino stayed with his same pattern, albeit, reduced
time for Barros, Griffen and Williams. I really hope Pitino's plan for
Fortson is NOT as a backup center....I don't know why Pitino's continues the
Cheaney experiment. Griffen also got reduced time tonight because of it. It
doesn't make any sense to sit Griffen for Cheaney...Anderson has started to
force his offense. I hope he stops it....Walker missed some bunnies but some
other spectacular shots around the hoop so I guess  it evens out. He still
made some dumb plays and a couple of ill-advised threes. Nice job of
rebounding tonight for him also. Walker and Pierce worked well together
during the game, each taking turns as the hot man....Pierce reminds me of
Glen Rice with his pretty pullup jumper. Pitino has been putting him on the
box posting up. Great decision and he really reaped the benefit of it
tonight....We got to see some of the greatness of Fortson tonight in limited
minutes. We also saw some of the downside. He made a really stupid foul on a
guy by just pushing him after the guy already had the rebound. Dumb! But he
had some nice, soft shots around the rim. He really knows how to use the pump
fake to make up for his lack of hops. And when he sets a pick! I saw Mercer's
knees rattle after he ran into Fortson once. I don't know why Pitino
continues to play him at center. For a time Pitino had Fortson at center and
Walker at the power forward spot. This time it didn't hurt so bad since
Denver is also small. Clark was able to score over him easily however. There
was also a short time when Fortson was at center and Williams was the power
forward. Pitino go figure???....Battie totally shut down McDyess and Clark
when he was in there. (Walker did a nice job also.) You see, Battie can play
good defense on power forwards. It is just that big centers can beat him up
and that is where Pitino plays him a lot...The key to this game is that
Pitino did not do the obvious trapping of the ball. They trapped once in a
while just to keep them on their heels. VP got burned on the one-on-one
defense but they got him to stop the Mournings and Mutombos, not the
McDyesses of the league. The one surprising thing was that early in the game,
if a player got beat on the wing, no one came to help out. I think they were
taking the no trap thing too serious. You still have to help out when a guy
has a clear path to the hoop. Later on, they got their heads back on. All in
all, it is nice to get a win and it looks like Pitino is heading in the right
direction....

DJessen33