Nice Win

Maybe now we'll hear from the optimists among us.  I
thought the C's did a very good job tonight against a
team that's been very tough at home.  Notwithstanding
a few dumb plays and early defensive lapses against
LaFrentz, Antoine came up huge on offense, on the
boards and with a big block (!) on a LaFrentz 3 at a
critical point.  He also made free throws when they
counted.  In short, he played like the captain.

Battie and Anderson did fine defensive jobs on McDyess
and Van Exel -- it was nice to hear them getting
credit for it from "Mr. Doom and Gloom" Heinsohn, too.
 Pierce looked like he's starting to shake off the
rust.  Williams had some nice aggressive moments in
the first half.  And perhaps most encouragingly,
Fortson looked good inside.  About the worst thing I
can say about Danny is what he said about himself --
HE'S NOT A CENTER.

I'm still a bit baffled by Pitino's utter
unwillingness to give Antoine ANY time at the 3 with
Fortson at the 4 and Battie, VP or even Pervis at the
5.  At least he didn't play the Bomb Squad as a unit
much tonight -- it seemed like he always had Kenny,
Antoine or Paul out there.

And will someone PLEASE remind Potapenko that he's
6'10"?  The Russell-like block notwithstanding, the
man bends over in the post and short-arms everything
up to the hoop.  Is he hurt, or has he simply caught
Charles "I Couldn't Dunk on Steve Kerr" Smith disease?

Apart from those complaints, the C's deserve credit
for rebounding nicely after the LA and Sacramento
debacles.  Let's hope they put the wood to Cleveland
on Monday, get off the schneid at MSG and then take
revenge on Webber, Divac and Co.!

In the meantime, HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

Michael Gooen