Re: May Day

Don't worry, before you know it Pierce and Fortson will be back, and
everything will be fine.  What?  They are back?  Man the life boats, we're
going down!

Seriously, though, it is extremely frustrating how long it takes this team
to adjust to changes in personnel availability.  When Pierce went down it
took three or four games before they even started playing well, forget
winning.  What's less understandable is why when he comes back, it's like
the same thing all over again.  Fortson will take time.  It's like he's in
training camp, with a new team no less, and everyone else is in mid-season
form.  That wouldn't be a problem if the rest of the team were playing well
and he could be gradually blended into the mix.  Thinking back, it seems
like they've had problems with most of their new additions. When Pierce
joined the team he looked great, but the team struggled.  When Vitaly
replaced DeClerq, he looked objectively like an improvement, but again, the
team struggled.  About the only time a player made an immediate positive
impact was when Kenny first came on board, but of course, that didn't last.
The first few weeks of this year is probably the best this C's team has ever
played, but that was only after a long training camp to prepare.

You could say it's Pitino's fault, since it's his job to get the team to
play well together.  It would be hard to deny that.  But the question is, is
he doing as good a job of it as others could do?  I'd say he's doing fair
(I'll give him a C+), which is disappointing because he was brought in to be
an A+ coach.  And, the reason I don't feel he's been a failure as a coach is
that the team has had no continuity in players.  I know, I know, he's the
one who traded all the players.  But no one can honestly tell me that the
team Pitino inherited didn't need to be completely dismantled. Since that
process, I find it hard to fault most of his moves.

So, what's my point?  I don't know really.  I guess it's just because things
are getting frustrating and we're starting to get the "dump Cheaney and pick
up Jeff Sheppard" posts, as if changing one set of scrubs for another is
going to make the slightest bit of difference.  On the contrary, I think it
is of the utmost importance that this group of players gets a chance to play
out the rest of the season together, and hopefully pull it together soon
enough to make a serious run at the playoffs.  I think it is just as
important that they stay together this summmer, and play next season
together.  It took two full years to assemble a team that at least seems to
have enough talent to compete.  Now they need to learn to play together.  If
anything needs to be changed this off season, and I'm not saying it does, it
is the coach.

Players I would keep to build on:
Walker, Pierce, Anderson, Battie, Fortson, Griffin

Players that could be moved without upsetting things, but aren't going to
get you anything in return, so what's the point?:
McCarty, Barros, Cheaney, Williams, Ellison, Overton, Minor

The one core player who I'm not looking to dump, but if you could seriously
upgrade without losing one of the building blocks (say by trading him with
draft picks), I'd do it:
Potapenko

Jim