Re: Celts TV announcers

--- You wrote:
Item #1
Just a note for those of you who don't get to watch the Cs on the local
broadcast: Tommy Heinsohn reached an important new milestone in his
continuing metamorphosis from "corporate cheerleader" to "nattering nabob
of negativism" during the Clippers loss Sunday night. In his post-game
wrap-up Tommy H. actually criticized the "vaunted press", both generally
(along the lines of "how do you let what is essentially a jump shooting
team get all those chances for dunks and lay-ups?") and with regard to the
timing of its use ("why press when you're leading by eight points?").
--- end of quote ---

Oh, come on, what does Tommy know about NBA basketball? He can't begin to appreciate its chaos theory-like complexity and is just another ill-wishing simpleton jealous of Chairman Rick's incredible achievements at the NBA level. I think that anyone who dares to question the fundamental tenets of basketball laid down by our Leader and Father should be declared enemy of the Celtic Nation and dealt with accordingly (e.g., see Cousy, Robert).

Seriously, folks, certain aspects of Pitino's basketball philosophy are like communism - beautiful in theory, impossible and harmful in practice. To anyone who grew up in one of the dictatorships (and they are always dictatorships) that were "building" comunism, like China and  U.S.S.R., the whole spectacle must be painfully familiar - 5-year plans, endless promises that next year will be better, that, once people fully understand and embrace the great teachings of Pitinoism, it'll be paradise on Earth. In the prophet's own words, "once they finally get it, we'll be hell". (My thought at that point: exactly, if you mean it literally).

It's a terrible waste, because we have talent, and because Pitino is not stupid and does know a lot about basketball. Unfortunately, he remains a victim of his success at the college level and the philosophy he associates with it.The Celtics will win some games in spite of him, and will win more to the extent that he recognizes the error of his ways. It gives me hope that in his more lucid moments he sounds like he is starting to recognize this. Perhaps he just needs a gentle, face-saving transition to real NBA coaching.