Re: Adrian Griffin

In a message dated 12/24/99 4:01:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ladynada@mediaone.net writes:

> do you consider that guy named stockton who plays on that team
>  with malone, to be a superstar?

REAL interesting question.  First, I think that Malone, had he had agents,
hype, slightly different personality and a few other things, could have been
Jordan.  I think the guy is one phenomenal player, one of the best I will
ever see.  He works in a small market and suffers as a result.  But Stockton:
 my first reaction is that he is not a "superstar."  Maybe "superstars" win
rings.  Maybe they play in big markets and get more ink.  When Barkley went
down, I posted to this list and said that aside from Jordan, there was no one
I'd rather watch play than Barkley.  Stockton goes on that list in third
place.  I watched him operate like a surgeon, threading passes, analyzing
defenses, spotting the open lane.  Flashy?  No.  Dunk?  No.   So is he a
superstar?  All-time assist leader ... not Cousy ... not Magic ... is he a
superstar?  Maybe it's because it is 6:00 PM Xmas eve and I have had a few
glasses of bubbly, but I think this is a wonderful question and would like to
see others' answers.  Is a great player a superstar and vice versa?  I
dunnno.  Whaddya think?