Re:

----- Original Message -----
From: Jaime Salud Castillo, Jr. <jaims@philonline.com>
To: peter delevett <pdelevett@amcity.com>; Celtics <Celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 1999 11:22 AM
Subject: Re:

> I guess all these impatience on Antoine is mainly attributed and seen
during
> the off season conditioning and skill improvements.

Nice try.

> As far as I can see, Antoine hasn't improved greatly but showed a little
of
> control in some games this year...but sadly in most games, he still showed
> the old bad habits we all are hoping he'd take out of his game.

Antoine has improved drastically in shooting free throws which is noteworthy
since the ball is in his hands alot.  Being able to hit them late in the
game is key.  I guess only some of us have noticed.  There are other
elements that will improve as time goes on, just like any young player.

> I am not a Walker hater but am not also a Walker fan.  I am still trying
> be patient with this guy and hopes that he improves on all aspects of a
good
> basketball player and also master the fundamentals of the game.

In my opinion, Toine has a solid understanding of all aspects.  There are
many veteran players who have yet to master the fundamentals, but he is
without peer in his ability to handle the ball for a man of his size.  If
you are really trying to be patient, it shouldn't be a game by game thing.

> If we are intent of winning the championship what we need is a well gelled
> first five and a very effective second stringers.  Simply, I am just
saying
> that we must keep the core of this current team and just keep on hoping
that
> it would click this year.  Then, after the season, we can judge who should
> stay because of his being an asset and also, on who should go if he's just
> distraction and not of help to the team.
>

> As far as the coaching goes, IMO, it's still very much to be desired.
> Coaching is both an impersonal and a personal thing.  I remember someone
> posting about a coach shouldn't only  be a teacher but also should be
> somewhat a parent to these "kids" nowadays.  Doing both well will only
make
> the player/person more determined to be better or just be best but also to
> grow maturely in a gradual way.  We shouldn't expect Antoine to change to
> better in a year or within the season...that'll be impossible.  The sad
> truth about his growth/development in the NBA is that he didn't and
doesn't
> have the right and proper "teacher/coach" all his 4 years in the NBA.
Like,
> if Larry Bird have had coached him (wow, that would be a dream come true
for
> me) since the start of his career then I am flat out sure Antoine could be
> great right now.  Pitino is a good coach but is not the type that would go
> out of his way and be buddies with his players.  Well, if Pitino either
> leaves or gets axed at season's end, maybe we could lure back Larry to
coach
> and teach our very young and talented bunch how to be great and most
> importantly how to win.

You can't paint em all with the same brush.  Did Dr. Jack Ramsey go out of
his way to be buddies with his players?  Is Tim Duncan a fine player only
due to the coaching of Popovich?  Was the great Red Auerbach so successful
because he was a fun kinda guy?  Every coach has his/her own style.  I have
mine, you have yours Riley, Jackson, Sloan, Karl, etc.

> But I guess the best thing to do now is sit back and wait till the end of
> the season...then again, we decide and do some talking if we want to keep
> the coach or junk him.

Do you really think it's possible for members of this list to not sling the
barbs when the team/Toine doesn't measure up to their expectations?  How
much would you like to wager on that one :-)?

> For now, let's just hope for the best as our starters are getting back
from
> Injured list and then let's see if we could really kick butts!
>
> Go Celts!
>
> Merry Christmas to everybody!

Now you're talking my language Jaime.  When we get everyone back, we will be
in a better position to make reasonable observations about the capacity of
our guys.  Til then, Happy Holidays to one and all.

Cecil

Finley,
> > McDyess, etc - is exactly making anyone forget Michael Jordan. Even
Peter