	From:	Cecil Wright [SMTP:cecil@hfx.eastlink.ca]
	Sent:	Wednesday, December 22, 1999 1:55 PM
	To:	Berry, Mark  S; celtics@igtc.com
	Subject:	Re: Tommy is getting critical

	----- Original Message -----
	From: Berry, Mark S <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>
	To: <celtics@igtc.com>
	Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 2:14 PM
	Subject: Re: Tommy is getting critical

	> Cecil wrote:
	>
	> "I think his lack of a more impressive rebounding statline can be
	> attributedto the emergence of Adrian Griffin who has done a fine
job as a
	> rebounder,as well as bringing an educated all-round game to the
fore. It
	> appears thatthe stat driven will make a case based upon whatever
stats
	they
	> want to use.Battie, to a small extent, and Pierce when healthy,
would also
	> contribute onthe boards."
	>
	> This is true, and I'll turn it around to make a point I've finally
come to
	> believe this season: Antoine is a classic example of a guy who put
up big
	> numbers on a terrible team because he was allowed to.
	>
	> We didn't have any reliable scorers, so he shot and scored a lot.
We
	didn't
	> have any other rebounders, so he ended up with a lot of rebounds.
Now, we
	> have other scorers and rebounders and Toine isn't getting the
number of
	> shots he used to get.

	*That's right Mark.  And there should be nobody to blame for this
since the
	team did stink.

	Unfortunately, his efficiency hasn't gone up. He isn't
	> taking better shots, just fewer. He isn't a 10-rebound a game
player on a
	> good team. He is what he is: An inefficent 19 ppg, 6 rpg player
who isn't
	> nearly as good as any of us thought he was. And he certainly isn't
worth
	> the maximum salary. (BTW, argue the merits of a Hughes trade if
you will,
	> but Hughes is locked up for three seasons beyond this one at
Pierce
	money.)

	*I don't blame Toine, or any other athlete, for getting the best
contract
	they can get.  I can't even put Hughes in the same sentence as
Pierce or
	Toine.

	> And, to answer Paul's question as to whether Toine has been
selfish or
	> uncoachable this season: Whether he has or hasn't, the perception
is
	there.
	> People see a guy jacking up 25 shots to get 20 points, hear about
him
	> skipping voluntary minicamps and coming to camp out of shape and
they form
	> their own opinion. Even the most ardent Toine supporters must
admit,
	> employee No. 8 isn't going to get anyone's vote for Employee of
the Month.

	> Mark

	*Neither is Forant's new buttboy, Ron Mercer.  He has been jacking
it up
	frequently.  I am a Toine supporter who recognizes he has weaknesses
	improve.  I think he is taking steps to make improvements, like his
free
	throw shooting for example.  (Hope I didn't just jinx his ass)  But
he IS
	respected by his mates and when he's on the bench, I don't think
we've seen
	a bigger cheerleader since, dare I say it, M.L.

	I'm telling you all, when Pierce and Fortson are healthy, Toine will
be the
	biggest benefactor.  And I hope those who have been quick to slam
him will
	admit that they were a little hasty in their criticism.  I know
there is one
	cranky New Yawkah who won't be courageous enough to make such an
admission
	though.

	Cecil