Re: Tommy is getting critical

----- Original Message -----
From: Berry, Mark S <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>
To: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: Tommy is getting critical

> Cecil wrote:
>
> "I think his lack of a more impressive rebounding statline can be
> attributedto the emergence of Adrian Griffin who has done a fine job as a
> rebounder,as well as bringing an educated all-round game to the fore. It
> appears thatthe stat driven will make a case based upon whatever stats
they
> want to use.Battie, to a small extent, and Pierce when healthy, would also
> contribute onthe boards."
>
> This is true, and I'll turn it around to make a point I've finally come to
> believe this season: Antoine is a classic example of a guy who put up big
> numbers on a terrible team because he was allowed to.
>
> We didn't have any reliable scorers, so he shot and scored a lot. We
didn't
> have any other rebounders, so he ended up with a lot of rebounds. Now, we
> have other scorers and rebounders and Toine isn't getting the number of
> shots he used to get.

*That's right Mark.  And there should be nobody to blame for this since the
team did stink.

Unfortunately, his efficiency hasn't gone up. He isn't
> taking better shots, just fewer. He isn't a 10-rebound a game player on a
> good team. He is what he is: An inefficent 19 ppg, 6 rpg player who isn't
> nearly as good as any of us thought he was. And he certainly isn't  worth
> the maximum salary. (BTW, argue the merits of a Hughes trade if you will,
> but Hughes is locked up for three seasons beyond this one at Pierce
money.)

*I don't blame Toine, or any other athlete, for getting the best contract
they can get.  I can't even put Hughes in the same sentence as Pierce or
Toine.

> And, to answer Paul's question as to whether Toine has been selfish or
> uncoachable this season: Whether he has or hasn't, the perception is
there.
> People see a guy jacking up 25 shots to get 20 points, hear about him
> skipping voluntary minicamps and coming to camp out of shape and they form
> their own opinion. Even the most ardent Toine supporters must admit,
> employee No. 8 isn't going to get anyone's vote for Employee of the Month.
>
> Mark

*Neither is Forant's new buttboy, Ron Mercer.  He has been jacking it up
frequently.  I am a Toine supporter who recognizes he has weaknesses to
improve.  I think he is taking steps to make improvements, like his free
throw shooting for example.  (Hope I didn't just jinx his ass)  But he IS
respected by his mates and when he's on the bench, I don't think we've seen
a bigger cheerleader since, dare I say it, M.L.

I'm telling you all, when Pierce and Fortson are healthy, Toine will be the
biggest benefactor.  And I hope those who have been quick to slam him will
admit that they were a little hasty in their criticism.  I know there is one
cranky New Yawkah who won't be courageous enough to make such an admission
though.

Cecil