Atlanta Game

Not that we all should need any extra motivation to try to whup Atlanta
tonight (other than defending our parquet floor one last time), but
below are some quotes from Atlanta Braves pitcher John Rocker concerning
New York City (and I suppose by extension "the North"):

p.s. I'm glad he didn't mention Ukrainians. :-)

-------

(copyright Associated Press)

``The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners,''
the Macon, Ga., native said. ``You can walk an entire block in Times
Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and
Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up
there. How the hell did they get in this country?''

The 25-year-old reliever, whose team beat the Mets in this year's
National League championship series but got swept by the Yankees in the
World Series, made disparaging remarks about New Yorkers in this week's
issue of Sports Illustrated.

``Imagine having to take the 7 train to (Shea Stadium) looking like
you're (in) Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer
with AIDS, right next to some dude who got out of jail for the fourth
time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids,'' Rocker said.
``It's depressing.''