Re: Was "Credit Pitino with loss"

Jim Meninno wrote:

> >Put another way, I've never seen a mid-air block of an Antoine shot.
> >Opponents slam the ball down before it is even five inches above his
> >forehead. These aren't necessarily always fouls, but opponents are allowed
> >to be aggressive with Antoine without even a minor risk that a foul will be
> >called.
>
> It seems absolutely inconceivable that, with all the negative reinforcement
> he's been given by opposing players stuffing the ball down his throat, that
> Antoine hasn't learned to use fakes better.  I'm certain that a big reason
> he gets blocked so much is that players are briefed that he doesn't fake.
> Just try for the block every time.  There's nothing to lose.  The only
> explanation I have is that Antoine depends on speed so much to get free for
> the shot that he never stops hurrying.  He should have learned by now that
> the speed gives you an advantage of separation that you exploit by forcing
> the defender to make up that space by rushing at you or jumping, and that,
> once they've done that, they are helpless.  I have always been reluctant to
> use his youth as an excuse for anything because nobody forced him to leave
> college early, but I didn't notice until recently that he is actually the
> second youngest player on the team behind  Paul Pierce.  Whenever I get
> impatient with either of them, I just need to think about how much time
> these two have left to play together.

great points El Jimbo. I cut some of the better parts out, though. Yes, I
believe it is absolutely bewildering how thick-skinned and meat headed Antoine
is when it comes to all the telegraphed shots that routinely get stuffed down
his throat before they leave his hands. Instead of backing off the throttle, he
just keeps on coming back at you all game like a big lion (a pretty stupid
lion). Block a shot once and the typical recreational player like myself might
not drive in your direction again for the rest of the half, or will put up some
totally weakass, over the shoulder stuff the next time in a similar situation.
Antoine has a "great" capacity for not letting an embarrassing play bother him
(at all) during the rest of the game.

But for someone with his ability to break down defenders off the dribble, he
really needs to demonstrate more promise and development on the finish over the
horizon of his career. It's like he sputters out of momentum the split-second
before the act of shooting, instead of planting hard and jumping with reasonable
authority toward any daylight he can find - as would virtually any other
NBA-level player. The better finishers like Pierce might look a little more
gangly driving toward the rim, but once there they'll have the presence of mind
to scoop, half-hook, or twist and squeeze off a soft bankshot if the clearcut
dunk or layup is not there.

This presence of mind probably doesn't all come from superior instincts but
mostly from better fundamental technique. I think Antoine should mentally
condition himself to always add a split-second at the finish to clear his head
and consider his several options, either by actually planting firmly and
considering a pump fake under the basket (what a concept) or pulling up 5 to 10
feet short, planting, jumping and either kicking the pass out, threading the
pass in, or taking an actual jumpshot instead of a grenade lob. Like the Couz
says, I really believe Antoine would profit from adding a breath (a "one count")
between the decision to shoot and the act of shooting itself.

In fact, Antoine does this sometimes, but not always. When it comes to finishing
plays, Antoine's attitude is if you rush, rush, rush just a little more, maybe
THIS time you'll get a damn shot off before several arms come crashing down on
the ball. He'll play "hot potato" at the end of plays, just like Waltah.

If it's possible for AW to "learn" how to become an effective finisher, I'll bet
you anything he will actually leapfrog many of the 24-players way ahead of him
in the running for future All Star spots, simply because he's that much more of
a standout dribble creator compared to any young superstar near his size. And if
he learns to finish strong AND rediscovers his rebounding acumen circa 1998, he
will be an MVP candidate between the ages of 27 and 35, rather than continue his
development into just another average hybrid big forward who shoots a wee bit
too much. Right now I would rate Toine barely among the top 15 NBA starters at
small forward OR power forward (6.9 rpg, .416FG%). I think I'm being charitable
because of the holiday season (he's not really a top 50 player at all right now,
nor is he even remotely consistent or dependable).

Statistically speaking, Antoine for Mashburn (4.5 assists per game, .444 on
treys) would constitute the "steal of the century" in our favor. I find this
fact utterly repellent and pathetic.

Joe

****