<geen onderwerp>

Title: <geen onderwerp>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:37:28 -0800
From: "John Lyell" <Jlyell@concentric.net>
Subject: RE: NBA coach needed

I am not sure as far as Pierce and Fortson. It has yet to be shown what
Fortson will provides us, will it be a Oakley, Rodman like
rebounder/enforcer, or another Popeye Jones ?

I'm affraid I think Fortson will (at least in the first few weeks) be more like a Popeye Jones than an Oakley. I think Fortson and Popeye Jones both came from a weak team. Sometimes I feel like 'average' players can get 'above average' stats on 'under average' teams.

However I loved Fortson with Cinn in college. But that's a whole different league (for players and coaches...) I don't think Fortson is going to grab more than 8 boards a game. Still good, but not less than expected. Is Fortson a true rebounder, or more a big guy (not in height) who's tough to box out? Barkley is probably the only good example of a not tall big guy who can rebound, but Fortson can't be compared with Barkley ofcourse.

Also, will Fortson play really that much? Does Walker has to play the SF? Eventhough it looks like he's better off being a PF? Than what about Griffin and Pierce? Where do you put them? I guess Cheaney and McCarty can say goodbye to some of their playing time.

The return of Fortson won't be greatest thing that could happen to this team. Sure it's an improvement, but expect so see some playing time problems. Let's see if Pitino can put pieces together and solve the puzzle.

ps. I don't want to talk bad about fortson or anybody else. I love the guy, but I just think too many people are going to expect too much from him.