Cleveland Game (was "Weird")

I tend to also be pessimistic/blasé about this signing, but I was wrong about
Adrian Griffin so you never know.

Jamel Thomas could just be another in a long line of similar Celts 12th men - from
David Thirdkill to Dontae Jones - with big guard size but insufficient guard
skills. I guess this signing tells you what the Celts brass thinks of Kris Clack.
You'd think the Celts could use a wide body more right now. I know it's just a
coincidence, but Potapenko goes and gets hurt the same day we cut Conlon.

Regarding tonight's rematch with Cleveland, I certainly hope we can whup them
again and finally break our 6 game road losing streak. The Cavs are coming off an
explosive 127 point game in a win over Atlanta, overcoming three twenty point
scorers to win by 11 points. Lamond Murray is a starter now (we didn't see him
last time, I believe), and has become the third leading scorer shooting .462 from
three-point territory. Bobby Sura and Wes Person are two other regulars that
Griffin and Cheaney need to shut down and stay level with.

As noted last time, Cleveland is a slick and dangerous 3-point shooting team with
6 guys hitting over 42% from that distance and the team as a whole jacking up 11
attempts per game. Like the Celts, they aren't the greatest rebounding or shot
blocking team.

The strength of that team is on the perimeter and at point guard, where Brevin
Knight and Andre Miller combine (over a total of 49 minutes per game) for 21.9
ppg, 12.4 apg, 6.2 rpg, 2.52 steals.

Shawn Kemp is nearing 20-10 but continues to be a sub-40% shooter. I haven't seen
him lately, but he's listed at 280 pounds so this is a critical assignment for
Potapenko. Ringo DeClerq (230lbs) and Antoine will probably be assigned to guard
each other by default. Years ago this would have been a mismatch of colossal
proportions, but you never know this year with Antoine. Danny Ferry is the only
other regular taller than 6-7 so he might be in the mix. Again you never know with
Antoine.

This is a quasi "must" road win. Cleveland is a solid 8-3 at home and have the
revenge factor going for them, so the Celts have to really block out the odds and
just take it to the Cavs for all 48 minutes. Our Celts have actually been
effective lately shutting down 3-point shooting teams and for whatever reason we
have managed to hold our last six opponents below the century mark with an overall
average of just 90ppg.

This is one of those games where it would be nice for one of our bench "utility
players" to step up and have a surprising game, the way it happened all last year
for the Red Sox.

Go Celts!

Joe