Re: Ainge leaves Suns

Ainge resigns as Suns coach

PHOENIX -- Phoenix Suns coach Danny Ainge resigned, saying he
wanted to spend more time with his wife and six children.

"Their lives have revolved around me for my entire career. I want my life
 to revolve around them at this time in my life. It's that simple," said Ainge
 at a news conference Monday.

Suns chairman and CEO Jerry Colangelo said he met with team
management last night and told them his decision. He said the resignation had
nothing to do with Ainge's performance as a coach.

"My wife just has one husband and my
children just have one father," Ainge said. "Some of you may think I'm
jumping ship. I don't believe I'm jumping ship. I'm diving overboard to
save my family."

Ainge, 40, will be replaced by assistant coach Scott Skiles, who has been
Ainge's top assistant for three years. Skiles played in the NBA for 10
years at Milwaukee, Indiana, Orlando, Washington and Philadelphia.

Skiles, 35, was a candidate for the head coaching job in Orlando during
the offseason. He started in the backcourt with Penny Hardaway, who
now plays for the Suns, early in Hardaway's career at Orlando.

Ainge said he believes Skiles is every bit as good a coach as he was, if
not better.

"This is a dream I've had for a long time, to be the youngest coach in the
league and I believe I am," Skiles said. "But the circumstances of it, it's
not like I'm jumping for joy. It's like I've lost a close friend. I definitely
have mixed feelings about it."