Re: My hero, the A-Walker

----- Original Message -----
From: John Lyell <Jlyell@concentric.net>
To: <DJessen33@aol.com>; <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Friday, December 10, 1999 12:38 AM
Subject: RE: My hero, the A-Walker

> I think Barkley comments on punks like Iverson and Walker that have not
> proven anything were real good. He said they should look to learn from
> coaches not see it as criticism. Antoine Carr said the same thing about
> Steve Francis last week.

Charles was branded worse than merely a punk for quite a while during his
career.  Now his comments carry meaning?  He also told Iverson that he was
the player who could take this league to the next level.  Obviously not some
no-talent bum, rather someone who has superior talent.  Antoine has proven
to be durable and an awesome scorer at times (Washington and Miami last
year).  He is trying to round his game into a less statistical, more team
approach.  Think Russell has had an effect on him?  Fact is, even if he
averaged 20-10-5-3, some fans would complain that he was not deserving of
his contract.

> Fans are paying big bucks due to the salaries of these underachievers that
> have not proven shit. I only wish more fans rode their ass's when they are
> launching bricks or air balling free throws. I agree to sit and constantly
> rag on a player through out a game gets annoying but, if he can't stand
the
> heat give the $71M back.

This is where my problem lies.  These are young men who are not fully mature
yet.  The organization pays them outrageous dollars, for which the athlete,
not the organization, is held accountable.  Some fans therefore think it is
acceptable to act like morons because they pay the price of a ticket.  I
ask, how many on this list who have ever played a team game, needed to be
reminded by the fans that they were not playing up to snuff?

> Give me Rahim any day. I have seen several of his games lately and he has
> much better moves than Antoine, but I don't think they would be stupid
> enough to move him, he is their franchise, and with Walker and Big country
> they could have 2 big men with no jumping ability !
>
> John

I like Rahim also but he has proven no more than Toine.   You apparently
missed the games earlier this year where he openly questioned what was going
on with their organization.  That would merit the label of malcontent in
Boston.  The doubting Thomases will eat their words as they mature and get
to know each other better.  But most still won't admit it.  How many have
mentioned that Toine played very well against Denver?  Few, if any.  And
then, there's the, well they only played a team who is fighting to make the
playoffs opinion.  This is the NBA and upsets happen each night.  A great
effort like the sustained vs Denver, should not be dismissed so easily.  The
game had maning for a variety of reasons and the C's met the challenge.  It
is something solid that can be a foundation on which to build.  Pitino is
doing a good job.  You'll see.

Cecil