Re: sorry about that.

>From: RSMALL@clarku.edu

>Most (if not all) of the major Walker backers relied on stats for so many
>of their arguments (20 pts. 10 reb, on;y 5 do that etc.)  Now that his
>stats are going lowere and lower, stats are no longer important.

Gotta disagree with you here, Rich.  This list has a love of statistics in
general.  During Walker's second year the backers were pointing to his
scoring and rebounding, but his opponents were just as quick to point out
his shooting percentage and turnovers.  It goes both ways.  I didn't think
his stats proved he was great then, and I don't think they prove he sucks
now.

>I watch every game adn tape those that I cannot watch right away and I will
>say this.  Walker has not played as bad as some think nor as good as others
>think.  He is somewhere in between (closer to bad my opinion only).
>Shooting is sinking fast, his 3 pt. is sinking faster, around 30% now (a
>statistical argument for the major backers)
>This may change, depending on how much work he is willing to put in.  But,
>we may have to accept that Walker will never be a superstar but that
>doesn't mean he can't be a good and contributing player.

Why might we have to accept that?  Based on his statistical performance over
a 14 game stretch?  I prefer to look at the picture as a whole.  To take the
impressions I have from watching the games and see if I can understand why
certain things might be happening.  Many have apparently decided that
Antoine has lost either his skills or motivation and is no longer capable of
performing at the level he did two years ago.  To me, it seems more like he
is being asked to reign in his game.  To rely on the rest of the team a lot
more.  To do more of the fundamental stuff, especially on defense, that will
not show up in his stat line.  It's long overdue.  His first year, the team
had no coach.  His second, the coach had no team.  Last year the process
began, but with no time to practice, and people were already wondering where
the dominant but out of control 'Toine had gone to.

My feeling is that, if Pitino wanted that, he could be back tomorrow.  He is
trying to get 'Toine to use his skills within the structure of the team, but
unfortunately it's making him look like he's taking a step or two backwards
when everyone was demanding that he take three forwards.  You may not be
able to tell, but I agree that Antoine has not been playing well this year.
It's just that I'd prefer to talk about why than just to read day after day
that he sucks.

Jim