From: Alex Wang [mailto:awang@mit.edu]
Sent: 06 December 1999 01:13
To: celtics@igtc.com
Subject: RP show - December 6, 1999

This week's Rick Pitino show was really excellent, actually. I think
the six days off may have helped. I'll dig up my notes for the past
two weeks and send summaries of those too.

3. He needs fourth-quarter leadership on the defensive end. Teams like
Miami and San Antonio have Mourning and Duncan who step up on defense
in the fourth quarter to shut the other team down. The Celtics need
to do it as a team.

5. Coaches' clinic was on stats. He gave a small example of the level
of detail that the coaching staff breaks down stats; on the individual
level he focused on field goal percentage. He broke down each player's
shots into drives, post-ups, and "other" shots - these may have only
been inside shots. Anyways, Walker was 39% on drives, 42% on post-ups,
67% on "other" which includes fast breaks, offensive rebounds, etc.
This shows that the staff has to work with Walker on finishing his moves.
Williams was 4/13 on drives because he tends to turn his back to the
basket on drives. Pierce was a poor 8/27 on post-ups because he never
had to develop a post-up game before, but 74% on "other". Griffin was
0/8 in the post, 21/27 on others. Potapenko was 38% on post-ups. You
get the impression that nobody on the Celtics can score on a post-up.

He then examined outside shots, breaking down to 3 pointers, 17
footers out to three point range, and 5 to 17 footers. Walker, though
he was a respectable 18-51 on threes, was 1-10 on 17+ footers and 4-17
on 5 to 17 footers, which confirms what we've all talked about with
his complete lack of a midrange game. But going down the line, almost
every player shot better from three point range than on the midrange
jumpers. I don't think this was as obvious. So the staff, in practice,
works with the players on these midrange jumpers.

Alex