Re: RP show - December 6, 1999

> 1. He answered Lobel's question about the inability of the Celtics to
> play with the lead. It's because the intensity goes up on both sides
> of the floor in fourth quarters, and referees allow more physical play.
> The Celtics haven't been stepping up.

I take this as a good sign. Wait until we get the ever-physical Fortson back
into the group. I have always maintained that we would get at least half if
not more of our losses without Fortson as did the majority of this list -
those who said if we're at .500 when Fortson gets back in then we're in good
shape.

> 2. Pitino's philosophy of recruiting has always been to get offensive
> players and teach them to play defense. He said it is the exact opposite
> of Philadelphia, who has gathered a bunch of tough defenders in the hope
> of eventually teaching them offense. In the long run, he feels his
> approach is better.

I believe Rick is correct in this one. A prome example would be Tim Hardaway
and Pat Riley. I believe this is the way that Pat Riley goes about things as
well. He took both Hardaway and Mashburn and turned them from no D players
into respectable defenders who fit into his system. Both came in with great
offense and were taught how to play D. Good analysis Rick.

> 3. He needs fourth-quarter leadership on the defensive end. Teams like
> Miami and San Antonio have Mourning and Duncan who step up on defense
> in the fourth quarter to shut the other team down. The Celtics need
> to do it as a team.

Definitely. Fortson will be the one to lift this aspect of the team. When
Fortson gets active and physical you'll be amazed at how much more effort
Antoine and the remainder of the team are seemingly putting in. Its been
there, they just aren't physical enough to do it consistently.

Great post - thanks Alex.

Cheers,

Warwick