From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
Alex Wang
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 1999 10:08 AM
To: celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Walker for Ratliff rumor continues

>From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Reports that had the Boston Celtics swapping center Vitaly Potapenko and
Antoine Walker to the Sixers for Tyrone Hill and Larry Hughes don't appear
to be accurate.

However, sources for both organizations confirmed yesterday that the
Celtics are interested in sending Walker to Philadelphia in a one-for-one
swap for Ratliff and that they have made that known to the Sixers.

"They know we love Antoine, and we know they love Theo," Brown said.
Celtics coach "Rick Pitino has wanted Theo for ages, but nothing's going
on."

That's because of something called base-year compensation. For any player
who receives a new contract worth more than 120 percent of his previous
year's salary, the team that picks him up is prohibited from getting
market value for that player in return.

--

This is really a bombshell in my mind, that their coach is actually
quoted in the paper confirming interest. I wonder about the Walker+V

Anyways, a straight Ratliff for Walker trade would make more sense
in completing each team's starting lineup although wouldn't be as good
talent-wise if you believe all the hype about Hughes. Personally, I'd
rather keep an average starting-quality center (Potapenko) than another
talented but unproven guard. Anyways, the Sixers need a secondary
scorer who can take the load off of Iverson but not interfere with him.
Walker's ability to create and pass (in theory) as well as play inside
would complement Iverson. Ratliff would provide the shotblocking
presence that has been missing for the Celtics and provide some more
depth at the big man positions.

If Walker continued his current rather poor play, you'd have to say the
deal would improve the Celtics (although where the scoring came from
might become an issue). At the same time, you'd probably see Walker
step up his play under Larry Brown, making us all curse the deal.

Alex