Re: RACIST

In a message dated 8/31/99 5:34:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, norine@sover.net
writes:

> that expression came from the old days when people heated water and cooked
in
> kettles - when it was black it was either old or dirty.  I never thought of
> it as meaning anything else - never in my life did I consider it a racist
> remark, and I've used it often.

    Dorine hits it again!  But I do have to concede that I think the term
"gypped" probably does have some connection with gypsies.  (In fact, I just
spent about 20 minutes trying to find some dictionary that says that "gyp"
comes from "gypsy."  Not quite, but the 1913 Webster's defines gypsy as
being, essentially, a thief/swindler, nad several tribes . . . etc.  Dang,
one can waste lots of time out there and do dumb stuff like subscribe to a
"word of the day" list...)
- Doug, taking bets on whether the Clippers will give Mo Taylor the max.
right.