      Boston Herald

      Cousy won't exit, but role is limited
      by Jim Baker
      Friday, August 27, 1999
      An inital reaction to word yesterday that Bob Cousy signed a three-year
      deal with the Celtics that includes some game analysis on Fox Sports New
      England might be that a public relations disaster was avoided. But all
      parties admit Cooz will work only six or seven ``key'' games, mostly in
      late-season.
      Last season, he had about 40 road dates on Ch. 68. The conclusion here is
      viewers are the losers.
      The question neither FSNE chief David Woodman nor Celtic veep Rich Pond
      could answer was who would tell viewers in more than 70 of FSNE's 81
      telecasts what the Celtics are doing wrong. Oh, Mike Gorman will provide
      steady play-calling again, Tom Heinsohn will stress bright lights and
      harpoon referees, and Eric Frede will handle a second season of
      wrap-around shows and features.
      But candor from the C's greatest-ever guard will be missed most of the
      way.
      Cooz, who at age 71 is recovering well from hip replacement surgery, gave
      a strong hint of what happened: ``Because my deal is with the C's, they'd
      like me to have a presence on the broadcasts. Fox genuinely wanted me
      involved, but offered me roles in anything but games. We talked for two
      weeks and I just didn't want to get into those areas at this stage of my
      life. Things like a series on the great Celtic teams are fine, but I'm not
      a professional TV announcer. I've been an analyst for 28 years.''
      Cousy also didn't want to create a controversy. At one point in the last
      few days, he said: ``I don't want to go out in the middle of a firestorm.
      If someone wants to get rid of me, just kick me off the team plane.''
      He also knew FSNE has a longstanding duo, Gorman and Heinsohn. ``I wasn't
      asking to take anything away from anyone. I just wanted to keep things the
      same (as a road-game analyst). A week ago, I was feeling sorry for myself,
      but I have no regrets now. Everyone's happy. We came to a compromise. The
      Celtics stepped up at a time when I needed support.''
      Woodman and Pond announced a ``joint agreement,'' but Cousy's deal is with
      the team. It involves marketing and promotion and with someone else, you
      might expect outbursts of in-game rah-rah for the check-signer. Even
      though he jokes, ``All of a sudden I'm a house man,'' that's not the Cooz.
      He's a candid kind of guy. And that's what game viewers will miss most of
      the season.