Another Cousy Article

He'll do about 10 games with both Heinsohn and Gorman.

Cousy won't exit, but role is limited
by Jim Baker
Friday, August 27, 1999

An inital reaction to word yesterday that Bob Cousy signed a three-year deal
with the Celtics that includes some game analysis on Fox Sports New England
might be that a public relations disaster was avoided. But all parties admit
Cooz will work only six or seven ``key'' games, mostly in late-season.

Last season, he had about 40 road dates on Ch. 68. The conclusion here is
viewers are the losers.

The question neither FSNE chief David Woodman nor Celtic veep Rich Pond
could answer was who would tell viewers in more than 70 of FSNE's 81
telecasts what the Celtics are doing wrong. Oh, Mike Gorman will provide
steady play-calling again, Tom Heinsohn will stress bright lights and
harpoon referees, and Eric Frede will handle a second season of wrap-around
shows and features.

But candor from the C's greatest-ever guard will be missed most of the way.

Cooz, who at age 71 is recovering well from hip replacement surgery, gave a
strong hint of what happened: ``Because my deal is with the C's, they'd like
me to have a presence on the broadcasts. Fox genuinely wanted me involved,
but offered me roles in anything but games. We talked for two weeks and I
just didn't want to get into those areas at this stage of my life. Things
like a series on the great Celtic teams are fine, but I'm not a professional
TV announcer. I've been an analyst for 28 years.''

Cousy also didn't want to create a controversy. At one point in the last few
days, he said: ``I don't want to go out in the middle of a firestorm. If
someone wants to get rid of me, just kick me off the team plane.''

He also knew FSNE has a longstanding duo, Gorman and Heinsohn. ``I wasn't
asking to take anything away from anyone. I just wanted to keep things the
same (as a road-game analyst). A week ago, I was feeling sorry for myself,
but I have no regrets now. Everyone's happy. We came to a compromise. The
Celtics stepped up at a time when I needed support.''

Woodman and Pond announced a ``joint agreement,'' but Cousy's deal is with
the team. It involves marketing and promotion and with someone else, you
might expect outbursts of in-game rah-rah for the check-signer. Even though
he jokes, ``All of a sudden I'm a house man,'' that's not the Cooz. He's a
candid kind of guy. And that's what game viewers will miss most of the
season.