Re: Shaky ground

Great post, Gene.

There are even a couple new faces on the second unit (Williams, Cheaney)
that could possibly make an impact. I was looking at some of the box
scores last season and there were games where Bruce Bowen would play
40 minutes, and he was a complete offensive liability. Hopefully the
second unit players can produce more than Bowen did this season.

Then there's the uncertainty of how effective Pitino's coaching will be
over the course of a full season. Was his statement that he didn't have
a chance to coach last season due to the lack of a coaching offseason,
training camp, and practice time just a bogus excuse? Will this year's
summer leagues, minicamps, upcoming grueling "boot camp", and psychotic
practices translate into more wins on the floor?

And will chemistry develop between the players? My feeling is that the
offensive chemistry between Walker and Pierce was actually better last
year without Mercer, and Fortson sounds like a guy that would help keep
them both happy - doesn't take many shots, will probably kick out some
passes after offensive rebounds, and hopefully can even clean the glass
well enough so they can run after the defensive rebound. I have high
hopes in this department.

Defense depends on whether Fortson can hold his own inside without
requiring help, and whether Anderson can keep the opposing point guard
from blowing past him. Otherwise, Pitino will have to do a good job
teaching his full court press and halfcourt traps.

Alex