Re: `Re: The Peril Of Too Many Large Contracts or More Trades On The Way

Well I have to disagree with what Joe said.
They're not going to be able to move the highly
untradeable Eric Williams, because of his injury
problems and his contract, which spikes up in value during the
next few years.  To deal him, he has to be packaged with a
Battie or Fortson or with the Denver pick, and it's why I
didn't mention moving him, except as part of a combo trade.

Secondly, any good big person coming out these days,
usually goes in the top five picks. In 2001, when
the C's will finally have their first crack at the
Denver choice or Denver's pick from Cleveland, I see
the Nuggets finishing between 5 and 11.  Denver's
choice that year is lottery protected for the first
six, so the C's have to hope the Nugz finish around
seven or eight, in which case, all the good big people
will be gone anyways. In 2002, the pick is lottery
protected for the first three, so I suppose if they
waited that long, they might have a chance at the
next high school phenom.....

But the future is now baby. Why wait till 2002, when you can use
the pick to acquire a star player in the next year? Look at what Phoenix
did.
Surely another situation of a similar nature will arrise and the C's
should be able to put a pretty good package together and perhaps even
dump some contracts.

I'd also keep an eye out on upcoming free agent who are repesented by
David Falk.
I think when February rolls around, he may do to some other club, what
he
did to the Cavs last season with Potapenko, which was to force a
trade....

Ray