Re: McDonough: C's To Walker: Play Well, Create Value, Then We'll Trade You

Considering the fact, that if Battie isn't signed by October 1st, then
he's not eligible to be re-signed until after he becomes a free agent -
next August 1st, then using the draft choice and him in a trade for a
quality player makes perfect sense and isn't reckless. It's turning a
weakness -- the possible impending loss of Battie -- into a strength.

I feel, due to the facts, that both Battie and Fortson are going to be
free agents and cap considerations, only one of them will be re-signed.

The caveat to this is if Fortson plays better than Pot at center. If
that's
the case, then I could see both Battie and Fort being re-signed and
Pot dealt with the draft pick and cap crap for a quality player, and
cap crap with contracts expiring at the end of the season.  That way,
the C's would free up some cap space to be applied to Battie's or
Fortson's
contract.

There's also the possibility that pick could be packaged with Toine in
some
type of Mega-Deal....
Ray