Re: Pitino Admits To A Bad Trade; Bob Cousy; Free Agents To Be

|   From: j.hironaka@unesco.org
|   Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:23:43 +0200
|
|   I've said it before, and I'll say it again! Pitino offered
|   Mercer an "insulting" and short-term extension because deep down he thinks
|   the guy sucked for his team last year.

If it was $30 million over 4 years, it was (IMO) hardly insulting,
especially considering his performance level ... I think it was a
reasonable deal for both sides, but

|   The logic behind why Mercer got
|   "kicked in the Nuggets" is the same reasoning that frankly explains why
|   the Celtics won 16 championships in 30 years. We don't grade players by
|   style, but by substance. This means Celts fans don't often get to enjoy
|   players who jump really high but rarely pass or rebound, like fans of the
|   perennial lottery teams. So boo freaking hoo!  "Read 'em and weep"  as
|   they say (16 banners).

Does the team that we're rooting for today have any connection with
the teams of the 80's and 60-70's?  Other than their uniforms?

-Andy