      Boston Herald

      C's OK with Walker
      by Mark Cofman
      Tuesday, August 10, 1999
      It's no secret the Celtics have dangled Antoine Walker's name in trade
      talks this summer. But after examining the market, team management is
      starting to sound like it expects Walker to be wearing a Celtics uniform
      when training camp opens in October.
      ``Guys like Antoine are very hard to find,'' said Celtics general manager
      Chris Wallace, finally coming up for air after last week's roster
      upheaval. ``Big-time talents who can take over a game and who can beat you
      in a number of ways - there's just not that many out there. And the ones
      who are out there are generally not available.''
      Particularly for a team in the Celtics' position. They gave Walker a
      six-year, $71 million contract in January - the maximum allowed to players
      with six or less years of NBA experience. He responded with his worst
      season, was booed frequently at home games and became something of a
      scapegoat for the team's fourth straight non-playoff season.
      Walker did win back a measure of respect when he returned from a severe
      ankle sprain to play during the final week of the season, but the damage
      to his reputation already had been done. The lockout-shortened 50-game
      season was a disaster for the team and its captain.
      ``I look at Antoine Walker as one of the leaders of the Boston Celtics and
      an integral part of the future of this franchise,'' said Wallace. ``We've
      added quality players and helped ourselves quite a bit in the areas of
      depth and versatility through the deals we've made (last week).
      ``But to win in this league - to get to the playoffs and to ultimately be
      a championship contender - you need that big-time talent. Somebody who can
      carry the mail. Antoine has that kind of talent. I fully expect him to
      step up for us this season.''
      If he doesn't, the Celtics are in for a headache. Before dealing Ron
      Mercer to Denver in last week's six-player exchange, Wallace and Rick
      Pitino discovered firsthand the difficulties of trading players at their
      market-value worst. Mercer's pricetag for a contract extension was too
      steep for the Celtics. He could have walked as a free agent next summer,
      with the team getting nothing in return. Instead, he was shopped to the
      highest bidder.
      But in Pitino's words, the Celtics were being offered ``30, 40, 50 cents''
      on the dollar for Mercer by teams aware they were trying to move the
      talented guard as soon as possible. Pitino and Wallace sat tight until
      Denver came in with an offer they perceived to be for fair market value.
      They pulled the trigger on the deal last week, shipping Mercer, forward
      Popeye Jones and center Dwayne Schintzius to the Nuggets for forwards
      Danny Fortson and Eric Williams, guard Eric Washington and a first-round
      pick.
      The Celtics subsequently used their $2 million salary-cap exception to
      sign veteran swingman Calbert Cheaney to a three-year contract. Cheaney
      will help fill the void left by Mercer's departure. His arrival brings to
      six the number of new faces on the roster since the league's moratorium on
      signings and deals was lifted on Aug. 1.
      For a brief period last week, it appeared a trade involving Walker would
      translate into even more new faces on the Celtics. And though Wallace
      can't promise a deal for Walker won't happen before the leaves fall, it
      appears things have quieted down in the Celtics front office.
      For now.
      ``My motto is never say never,'' said Wallace, beginning his third year
      with the Celtics.
      ``But I do like the team we have right now. There's a nice blend of
      talent, depth and experience. I'm eager to see where that takes us.''