Re: Cheaney

Damekmo@teleport.com wrote:

> >I am wondering if Cheaney is slotted at the 2, and Pierce at the 3 leaving
> >AW on his way out of town ?
> >
> >I would consider Rose & Bender for AW.  Pierce would be an acceptable
> >replacement, and Rose the big point we have been looking for.
>
> This would leave Calbert Cheaney as your starting 2?

We could argue that the Y2K Celtics might then have equal talent to last
season's Denver Nuggets, but ONLY if you believe Paul Pierce is ready to put up
Antonio McDyess' quality numbers (21 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 2.3 bpg, 1.47 spg) and
Danny Fortson duplicates his numbers from last year (11.6 rpg).

The rest of the roster is even in terms of quality (Kenny v. Van Exel,
Potapenko v. LaFrentz). Remember that Jalen "La vie en" Rose shot .403 and
averaged 1.9 assists last year, so he basically equals Eric Washington minus a
single above-average basketball skill (EW's perimeter shooting for example).
OK, maybe I'm being harsh.

Joe

p.s. Keeping both Pierce and Walker this year makes all the difference between
being "Denver East" and being a playoff factor.  I agree with Kevin Lok that we
should wait until next year and then consider trading (if necessary) an
improved Antoine Walker for a more under-control player who can nearly match
his talent and competitiveness. Grant Hill would be great, but only if we feel
we can count on Paul Pierce to make clutch plays in the fourth quarter (not one
of Grant Hill's specialties). Tim Duncan may also decide to a bigger media
market if injuries hasten David Robinson's retirement (he'll be 35-years-old by
next year's Finals).

p.p.s. I believe it will be difficult for Pitino to trade Eric Williams before
the fat end of his 30 million contract (four years remaining) kicks in. I may
be in the minority, but I would be happy if Pitino can still get a pair of
second rounders for Eric (in other words, refuse taking on any guaranteed
contracts to add to the 15 we already have). My reason is not that EW
potentially might suck (he sandwiched a .393 season and a .364 season around
his major ACL injury) but rather that his contract will be both a distraction
and benchmark for the agents of Battie and Fortson. Eric Williams and Kenny
Anderson presently combine to munch up 35% (or 13 million) of our 12 man salary
cap.

I know many Boston fans will be grumpy  if we pull a 180° and dump EW for zero
(which is far less than what some of us hope he is worth, based on his solid
play for us before his  injury) but IMO this is a wise and justifiable move
that Pitino should not be afraid to make. EW is a major flake and he's surely
been on the phone everyday talking to "his boy" Antoine Walker. Our embattled
captain doesn't need these distractions now at the biggest crossroad of his
disappointing NBA career, when listening to off-season coaching and focusing
his mind could transform him into something consistently terrifying to
opponents (the 47 double-double player he was minus all the avoidable
turnovers, clankers and other irritating nonsense). In a way, I wish Larry Bird
(the guy who convinced ML Carr to draft him) could coach Antoine for awhile.
Too bad it would mean we have to trade him.

-------