Fortson vs power forwards

Paul makes a good point that Fortson can probably not be counted on
stopping tall, athletic, offensively oriented power forwards. On the
other hand, there aren't that many of those in the Eastern conference.
I'd say the following is a list of probable starting PFs:
  Miami: PJ Brown
  NJ: Van Horn or Williams.
  NY: Kurt Thomas or Camby.
  Orlando: Whoever. I'm not worried about losing to them this year.
  Philly: Ratliff.
  Washington: Howard.
Howard and Van Horn are the only guys with real offense. Van Horn is
a defensive liability himself so I'd go with Walker. Howard? I don't
know, Washington is probably going to suck so bad it doesn't matter.

  Atlanta: Wright, unless Henderson comes back.
  Charlotte: Mason, or Coleman.
  Chicago: Brand.
  Cleveland: Kemp.
  Detroit: Jerome Williams.
  Indiana: Dale Davis.
  Milwaukee: Tractor Traylor.
  Toronto: Antonio Davis or Oakley.
The one to fear here is Kemp. The Celtics have no one to stop him. Perhaps
you front him with Battie and count on Walker for help. This is tough.
I would think that Mason vs Fortson would be a strength contest that Fortson
could do decently in. Brand could be tough too in the years to come.

The Western Conference seems much stronger at the position with Malone,
Duncan or Robinson, Garnett or Joe Smith, Webber, McDyess, Barkley, etc.

This season, Fortson on many nights may be facing a player who is their
team's fifth offensive option; then you definitely put him in to beat
them up on the boards. At other times, you probably have to use the
flexibility of your roster to attempt to control the other player.

The Celtics definitely have to sign both Fortson and Battie this summer
so that we won't have disgruntlement over starting roles.

Alex