Mike Fine (TSN): More Positive Upheaval On The Way

      Boston Celtics
      Team Report posted AUGUST 7, 1999

      By TSN correspondent
      Mike Fine
      Patriot Ledger
      After finishing their Boston-based summer league with a 6-0 record,
      boosting them to 14-0 in summer-league play, the Celtics went out and
      signed free agent guards Adrian Griffin -- the CBA¹s reigning MVP -- and
      Wayne Turner, a Bostonnative who played for coach Rick Pitino at Kentucky.

      Given their summer record and the new signings, one could assume the team
      could go ahead and order its championship rings, but then Pitino started
      dealing. First, he sent prized guard Ron Mercer along with throw-ins
      Popeye Jones and Dwayne Schintzius to the Nuggets for forwards Danny
      Fortson and Eric Williams, whowas originally drafted by Boston, guard Eric
      Washington and a future first-round draft choice.
      Next, Washington swing man Calbert Cheaney, who turned down an opportunity
      to play for Pat Riley in Miami, signed a three-year deal with the Celtics.

      Mercer, entering the third year of his rookie contract, was let go solely
      for monetary considerations. Negotiations with him and his agents were
      going poorly, if at all. "I could never come close to the money Ron
      wanted," Pitino said.
      So what do the Celtics have now? Four players from one of the worst teams
      in the NBA: Fortson, Williams, Washington and Tony Battie. Still, they
      considerably toughened up their front line.
      PLAYER PROFILE
      Fortson gives the once-weakling Celtics instant credibility and toughness
      up front. Though only a Barkleyesque 6-7, he'll start at power forward,
      affording Pitino the opportunity to move Antoine Walker -- if he isn't
      traded first -- to small forward.
      They'll play alongside Vitaly Potapenko, and Pitino will be able to use
      Battie, Williams, Walter McCarty and Cheaney off the bench.
      "Coming to Boston is an ideal situation for me," Fortson said. "I feel
      like I was made to play the style they play in the Eastern Conference,
      which is extremely physical. Plus, with the Celtics I think I'm finally
      going to have the opportunity to play a little more."
      The University of Cincinnati product was the NBA's fourth-leading
      rebounder at 11.6 per game, despite averaging only 28 minutes last season.
      Fortson started out as a substitute until Denver rookie Raef LaFrentz blew
      out a knee early in the season.
      WHAT'S NEXT
      Something has to give. Pitino has had more than 30 players come through
      his system in fewer than three years, and there are currently 15 signed
      players on the roster, including six newcomers. Cross out the injured Greg
      Minor and the perennially-recovering Pervis Ellison, and there's still
      room to cut.
      Throw in Walker, who continues to be shopped, and more upheaval, though
      positive, is in the works. To deal Walker, the Celtics will probably have
      to do a sign-and-trade deal.
      They've already checked with Indiana about a deal, and possibly Miami. Vin
      Baker of Seattle is still out there, too, and he would be an attractive
      and willing Celtic. Pitino is not deterred from making his constant deals,
      saying he's still on track to fulfill a campaign promise of making the
      playoffs by his third or fourth season, and getting a championship by the
      sixth.

                  T H E   S P O R T I N G   N E W SSee a Different Game. Get the
                  magazine!

      Privacy Policy. © 1999 Times Mirror Interzines, a division of Times Mirror
      Magazines.