Roles

I liked the Bob Ryan article. Each player has a fixed role now; in
particular, the scoring roles have been clarified. The surplus of
shooters last year was one of the causes of the poor shot selection
sometimes. I remember times when Pierce would go a long stretch
without getting any shot opportunities. Finally, he's just grab
a defensive rebound, dribble downcourt and heave up a shot. I'd guess
that it was frustration at not getting any touches.

If Walker and Pierce know that the other starters are going to have
limited offensive roles, they'll realize that they are going to get
20+ shots (including trips to the line) per game each whether they
pass the ball or not; and if they pass it, they'll get good shots.
It could have worked last year though Walker, Pierce, and Mercer
would have had to settle for more like 15 shots. This setup allows
both Pierce and Walker to be "greedy"; moreover, Fortson's offensive
rebounding prowess may even give them each another shot or two per game.

Walker and Pierce have a history of complementing each other when
Mercer was out last year. There were five games with Walker and Pierce
playing without Mercer; they were 4-1. Their combined stats were:
  63/134 (47%) 2pt fg
  20/54  (37%) 3pt fg
  34/59  (58%) ft
Well, the free throw percentage sucks and that is Antoine's fault.
But what telling is that they actually got to the free throw line a
fair amount, averaging 3.2 fgs per ft. Over the entire season, Walker
shot 3.6 fgs per ft and Pierce shot 3.3. They combined for 36 ppg on
only 27 shots per game; and a more respectable free throw percentage,
say 75%, would have made that 38 ppg.

In general, I'd say that they work well as a complementary pair,
based admittedly on this very small sample of five games. An excellent
comparative 2/3 combo, Ray Allen and Glenn Robinson, averaged 48% 2pt fg,
37% 3pt fg, and 4.0 fgs per ft (though they shot FT's at incredible
percentages, near 90%). Walker and Pierce potentially could match those
offensive numbers, and are far superior rebounders.

Alex