Sick of the Antoine-was-fat-and-thus-out-of-shape crap

Hey, folks,

     I don't mean to get off on a rant but...I've been hearing a lot, both
within (less) and outside (mostly) the list about how fat and out-of-shape, and
thus awful, Antoine Walker was at the beginning of the season.  Strangely
enough, during the 11 games of February he had his best statistical month of the
season, averaging 20.9 points, 9.0 boards, 3.6 assists and 1.6 steals over 36.9
minutes/ game.  During this time, the Celtics went 6-5.

     I'm not arguing that he wasn't heavy.  I think he was. But to credit Walker
with the demise of the season based on his coming to camp overweight is a crock.
11 games into the season he's no longer out of shape, he's pissed at Anderson
and Pitino and messed up psychologically, not physically.  I think Walker has
the talent to be one of the top 3 players in the game.  The GAME.  However, he's
his own worst enemy.  Though this is no defense of him coming in out of shape,
we do have to look at it contextually.  He thought that a) there was going to be
no season, and b) that the Celts were probably going to trade him because of his
contract demands ($100 mil).  Hey, he was fat, but but still a lot better than
Baker and Kemp.

     Everything changed when Walker and Anderson got pissed, Mercer started
heaving up 18 shots a game, and Pierce got hurt/depressed/cowed by Pitino.
March was shot to hell and with it the season.  Plus they traded Ringo, and what
team wouldn't be affected by his departure.

     Cheaney?  What the hell?  I would've gotten a 4/5 like Smacky, but
whatever.  Rick's probably not done trading.  Hey, at the worst Calbert is
better off the bench than Bowen or Minor.

     So what's Walter going to do this season?  Get Pitino coffee?  Carry the
balls?  There are no minutes for him at all.  Anywhere.

     The first four people off the bench, even going positionally, are:

Barros
Cheaney
Williams
Battie

     This is a lot more than we had last year.  Please, let this team stay
together and see just how competitive it can be, which I think is very.

Chris