Re: Fortson, Battie signings

In a message dated 8/4/99 8:29:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, awang@mit.edu
writes:

<< I think Battie is a nice pickup but he is not
 as good as Marcus Camby was at the same point in their careers, and Camby
 "only" got $39M from New York, which is not exactly a penny-pinching team. >>

Camby both second guessed himself (for signing) and begrudged Van Gundy (for
limiting his playing time) because he and many in the media felt that his
play over the last 10 games of the season plus in the playoffs would have
earned him the max had he not already signed.  There are many who feel that
Battie has a "sweeter" shot than Camby and is more versatile offensively even
if his scoring averages have not yet proven so.  Camby also came off the
bench all season and most of the playoffs for the Knicks.  I think if Battie
was willing to take less he'd already have his extension.

George