Re: Notes from the Globe

The thing is that Mercer is not as good a player as Kittles or Finley.
Well, Kittles had a pretty wretched year but if you look at his first
two year, he's statistically superior to Mercer - great three point
shooter, and he rebounds better too, which is hard to believe since he's
such a skinny guy; beyond that he's supposedly an excellent defender.
New Jersey also may have overpaid due to the "David Falk effect" after
getting Marbury.

Finley is just flat out better all-around though I suppose that may not
have been the case when he got his contract.

I can see Mercer's side though; he sees Kittles who had a horrible year
and still got $52M. He see Kobe and Ray Allen get the max. Anyways, I don't
feel too bad for him because Denver's probably going to end up giving him
a fat contract.

You are right too, Pitino was going to change the makeup of the team
regardless of what Mercer wanted. He just threw out a low offer; if
Mercer accepts, it simply increases his value in a future trade. Even
before any negotiations, Pitino had hinted about his desire to move Walker
to 3 and Pierce to 2. So Mercer wasn't in the Celtics' long term plans.

Alex