Red's World

Here is Jersey Red's column

I'm not sure if there is much Celtics stuff in it.  I have to go so I am
just cutting and pasting it so others can read it.

Josh

RED'S WORLD: Fall River's Davin is a trainer in training

By KEN 'JERSEY RED' FORD

There has been a Fall River connection to the Boston Celtics this summer and
this is one of those stories that I really enjoy writing because, hile all
of the players are trying to make a dream come true by getting a spot on the
Celtics roster, reams are not reserved for athletes and coaches.

Pat Davin hopes to someday be a trainer for a major sports team, and at the
tender age of 22, he is well on his way.

I have known Pat for about eight years. Both he and his brother Tim are
friends of my son Greg and he frequently stops by the house.

Most Durfee hoop fans will remember that Tim played for Durfee before
heading to Bridgewater State, but brother Pat was also an athlete.

But clearly, Pat had things in perspective and focused on academics and, in
particular, athletic training. After graduating Durfee with honors in 1995,
was off to Bridgewater where he excelled as a student and started to show
his stuff as a trainer by being named Athletic Trainer of the Year.

In 1998, Davin loved when he was able to come back to Durfee and intern with
the basketball team.

He graduated this year with highest honors, a 3.8 grade average (Dean's
List) and immediately started sending out resumes and crossing his fingers.

This field he had chosen is highly competitive and there are not that many
jobs out there. While waiting and hoping, Darin worked for Gold Medal
Bakery.

Then came to opportunity to assist head trainer Ed Lacerte of the Boston
Celtics as a volunteer.

So earlier this summer and prior to the Celtics going to California for the
summer league games, he worked every day at their practice facility in
Waltham. Then was back to work at Gold Medal.

Last week during the Boston Summer League games at UMass Boston, Davin again
was back at it.

The days were long, starting off at 7 a.m. in Waltham and ending at around
11 p.m. at UMass.

But he was in a world that a young man could only dream of being in. He got
to meet many of the trainers of the big time clubs such as the Pacers, Nets,
Sonics and Knicks.

Lacerte is known as one of the very best in the business and he took young
Pat Davin under his wing and allowed him to really get involved.

Lacerte told me he is extremely impressed with Davin as a would-be trainer,
but more importantly, as a person.

The names of Ed Lacerte and Rick Pitino on Pat Davin's resume can only help
to make his dream become a reality.

Davin said none of this would have been possible without the cooperation of
the Gold Medal Company for allowing him to do this without fear of losing
his job.

So what's next for this young man?

It's back to work, but he passed the extremely tough trainer's certification
test on the first try and has a couple of interviews lined up with
Bristol-Plymouth and Bishop Connolly High Schools.

In my opinion, young Pat Davin did Durfee, his parents, brothers and sisters
and the City of Fall River proud as he wore the green and white of the
Celtics this summer.

As I said, it's a wonderful story and the greatest part is that it's just
the beginning.

***

Last year, I appeared on Channel 10's Sunday Night Patriots Wrapup Show and
Willie "Big Play" Clay was also on the program so I got to know the kid.
Many of the Pats' vets were very vocal against the organization for letting
Big Play go. Lawyer Milloy was downright angry and lashed out at the Pats'
front office. That's no way to open training camp.

***

Did you notice that in a national sports "mag" the New York fans were voted
the best in the country. Some of the criteria used was loyalty, passion,
attendance and knowledge of the game. It included baseball, basketball and
football. For all you Beantown babies who think you know all, you came in
sixth.

***

Now Flash Gordon has said some pretty nasty things about Red Sox Doctor
Arthur Pappas. He joins a long list of players who have questioned Boston's
answer to Dr. Kevorkian. Remember, the doctor has part ownership in the
team. If that's not a conflict of interest, nothing is.

I can't believe took so long for them to get an MRI for Pedro Martinez.

***

Chris Slade came into Pats' camp in phenomenal shape, and despite playing
hurt at the end of the season, refuses to use that as an excuse. I look for
him to have a big year and maybe even make back to Pro Bowl status. Off the
field he's a terrific guy.

***

Andy Katzenmoyer plays his best football when he is allowed to "roam." If
the coaching staff stops him from doing that, they will be making a big
mistake.

***

The New York Giants were shocked when Jason Sehorn showed up for the opening
of camp 18 pounds overweight. Then he immediately pull a hamstring. Giants
fans are furious.

***

How about "Dan Dolphins!" Jimmy Johnson is saying he is not going to get
that involved in training camp and preseason games. Wanna bet?

***

Hmmm! Let's see the Mets are 20 games over 500 and the Yankees have the best
record in baseball. Maybe New Yorkers should start buying some subway tokens
to use in October.

***

Anyone that takes a shot at or second guesses Red Sox manager Jimy Williams
doesn't have a clue. He is a very good manager

***

The "Tuna" showed up for the opening of Jets camp like a "shark" in his
first press conference. He said that if his team gets off to a slow start
like last year, they could be out of it.

As you probably know, his team picked to win the AFC East by most "experts"
and I don't agree. While I'm a "Big Tuna" guy (with extra mayo), this team
is far from a lock and Big Bill will have to coach his brains out to get
them to the Super Bowl.

***

Wayne Turner will be invited to the Celtics camp for another look in
October. If he could stick the "j" he would make the team now because he
does every other thing very well.

***

Lawrence Phillips will probably help the 49ers, but you can stick a fork in
them and the Cowboys. The NFL is changing and most of the old mainstay's are
just that -- old.

***

I don't like Finley to the Yankees at all.

***

They're off and running at Saratoga and I managed to spend a day there last
week for the 86th running of the Sanford Stakes where a horse named "More
than Ready" won the race going away as the 2/5 prohibitive favorite.

BACK TO TOP

See All Sports Stories

See All Columnists Stories