Why

Don't misread the title - I like the trade.  Here's why:

1) Mercer wanted the max or close to it.  There is no way he's worth anywhere
near it.  Kittles signed for $52 mill and that's even a lot for a shooting
guard who shoots 44% from inside the 3pt line.  Sure he's a stud athletically
but that hasn't yet translated into team contributions.

2) One of Mercer, Walker, Pierce had to go.  The lineup didn't work.  Even
with the rules changes the game will still be played with one ball.  Factor
in Kenny and it's a bigger problem.  Pierce was going nowhere since he's a
bargain contractually and no one was offering value to Walker (who despite
his shortcomings is much more versatile than Mercer).

3) Had we held onto Mercer without resigning him he'd be putting up 20 shots
a game to prove he's worth the money and even if he improved his shooting
pct. the team's chemistry would be volatile.

4) We needed rebounding and we got the league's #4 rebounder.  Is there risk
involved?  Sure.  But Tim Duncan can get hit by a car crossing the street too.

5) We got rid of two players who did not contribute last year.  Even if they
do this season we lost nothing.

6) Many list members never wanted EW to leave - now we got 2 of them  ;)
If Eric Williams has matured and toned up then he will be a better fit than
before he left.

7) Is McCarty overpaid? Yes.  So is everyone in the NBA.  $8 million over 3
years is equal to the $2 million exemption with increments.  It would not
close the gap between the approximate $70 million Mercer wanted and the
approx. $40 million he was offered.

8) Mashburn is still in Miami.  There's no room for Delk.

I would have made the deal even if we were giving them the pick.

George