Good News, Bad News

I am trying from now on to refrain from commenting on rumored trades and
instead wait until anything officially happens, thus saving everyone a lot of
unnecessary ranting. However, I couldn't resist commenting on these gleanings
from Michael Holley:

1. "Even if that [Smackme Walker] deal doesn't work, the Celtics seem to have
begun preparing for Mercer's departure. One of their summer objectives was to
see if Paul Pierce, a forward, could play shooting guard. They came away from
Los Angeles last month confident that he could."

Yes indeed, the scrubs from the YMCA league just couldn't keep up with him ...

2. "It is also becoming obvious that the Celtics are building the team around
Paul Pierce. If they could trade Walker for a rebounding power forward, they would."

To me, this sounds like the 1980s Celtics saying, "We have to build around
either Bird OR McHale." Why not both? Is there some problem with having too
many talented players?

I was also surprised to read that the Bulls "supposedly have said they are not
interested in acquiring Antoine Walker." So much for our perceptions of
Walker's current market value!

3. Holley doesn't say whether Potapenko is fat or just has spent too much time
with his mistress, the weight room. Comments from summer league watchers?

4. Holley all but made it official that the team doesn't plan to re-sign
Bowen, Damon Jones or Riley. Not a suprise, but I thought all 3 guys played
well for the team. Let's hope Griffin and Turner can replicate their summer
success when the games start to count, and that the team can land another
backup center.

5. And this just in from the Gates of Hell: "Before a few of their summer
league games, a green-clad ''Celtics dance team'' was introduced. So, a dance
team is coming? The team says no. Just a summer gig for some local dancers ..."

Does the man have no understanding of Celtic pride and tradition?