Some thoughts about this summer of fat.

I'm suddenly beginning to think that "weight hysteria" is all around us,
and it's beginning to make me cranky. First we get the "reports" that
Antoine is blowing up like a balloon in Chicago, missing appointments with
the team and firing his personal trainer. Who knows whether any of this is
true. Now we have Vitaly "apparently" eating and lifting his way to
immobility. You know, it's only August 2. The first game isn't until Nov.
Training camp begins in Oct. or late Sept.....yes? Maybe some people feel
that working out for three full months before the season starts is enough.
In any case, I'm just grateful that Pitino is exhibiting a bit of patience
these days. Not a trade in sight. Sounds good to me, for I fear the worst.
However, if he truly intends to trade Antoine and get some value in return
I think the organization should stop talking to reporters about the alleged
"sloth" factor. Also...once again...Vitaly's problems during the summer
league mean about as much as Battie and Pierce's great play: Nothing.
Nobody plays any defense, nobody plays the body, nobody cares except for
guys like Wayne Turner and Kris Klack. And finally, I hope Mercer finally
believes that he's a mediocre 2 at best without an attempted and made three
point shot every now and then. He was supposed to work on that thing last
summer. Maybe a little less running, jumping and lifting to keep the fat
off, and a little more standing around eating donuts and taking threes
would help.

Paul M.